I’m excited about Casino Royale opening at the movies today. I don’t think I’ll see it this weekend, but hope to see it by the end of next weekend.
I read the book last weekend. I happened upon a copy of it at the “store closing” sale at the bookstore at the outlet mall last week. I have a couple others that I inherited from my Grandfather, but I had never read one of the books in its entirety even though I’ve seen most of the movies many, many times. I recommend the book to fans of the Bond movies.
You may be aware from the movie publicity that Casino Royale was the first novel Ian Fleming wrote in the Bond series. Here are some reasons to give it a read:
- You get to read Bond going to see M for the first time.
- Yes, that means Miss Moneypenny.
- You get to read Fleming’s original dialog of Bond ordering a martini. Yes, it’s vodka. No, it’s not your average vodka martini. Yes, it’s shaken, but no, he doesn’t utter the words “not stirred.”
- You get to find out just what SMERSH was.
- And yes, Vesper Lynd is the original Bond girl.
Check it out.